Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday 28 January 2010

Devon & Cornwall 2:Surf and Turf and Clotted Cream/ 偏食グルメツアー続行

The second day of our journey..
We started with a good breakfast - there were many choices, but Miss Photographer and I went for kipper fillet with poached egg, while M. Editor ordered porridge.


  • I don't know when I'm going to have lunch - I want to have something substantial
  • I DO KNOW that I will have lots of carb and sugar today - I want to have savoury protein-rich breakfast
.. were the thoughts that I went through my mind.
Little did I know what awaited me.

When we finished the breakfast, we set off to the town of Padstow, to visit Chough's Bakery.
There, they were baking their award-winning pasties, and a wonderful aroma filled the entire shop, as we walked in.  Even after such a hearty breakfast, it made my mouth water.


So, we couldn't say NO, when Elaine, the shop owner offered us three small (yeah, small..) pasties.  We ate them in the car - just an hour after our breakfast.
We then visited the factory where the Bakery bake their saffron bread, and tasted their scones - needless to say, with lots of clotted cream and jam.  We decided that our lunch was already finished, by 9.30 am.




We then headed over to a small farm called Hellsett Farm.  They make ice cream, yoghurt, and clotted cream, all organic.  It was fascinating to see how clotted cream is made.  I just love seeing things being produced (especially food).
They kindly gave us some freshly-made clotted cream and drinking yoghurt (yummy), and we moved on to our next destination.

Our final stop that day was Charlotte's Tea Room in Truro.  Charlotte's is a Victorian-style tearoom, old-fashioned but in an elegant way.  We tried another scone with clotted cream and jam..  well, it was only our third scone in two days.

When we got to the B&B after Charlotte's, we discussed where we should go for dinner, and M. Editor said he wanted to go back to Padstow, to try the Fish & Chips at Rick Stein's chippy.  He recently learned how to make "professional" fish & chips, and wanted to try Rick Stein's.  So, we drove for about 45min back to the seaside town of Padstow.

This was what it looked like..



It was good.  I had cod, and I think it was the best fish & chips I have ever had (not that I have tried that many in my life though).  I could tell that the cod was fresh and good quality, but M. Editor was not too satisfied with the chips, and said his own were better.

So, on day two, I had two meals consisting of fish, and one with meat, and even had sweet treats... I shouldn't complain..  or should I...

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

旅の二日目です。
B&Bでの朝食は、いろいろな選択があったのですが、カメラマン嬢と私はキッパー(ニシンの燻製)とポーチドエッグ、編集長はポリッジ(オートミール)を頼みました。


前日のいきさつから、
  • いつお昼が食べられるか分からない→ ちゃんとしっかりと朝ごはんを食べとかないと
  • 炭水化物・糖分過多は必須 → 糖分は控えて、たんぱく質を摂っておかなきゃ
と、予測していたためです。
この日、このあと何が待っているか、このときには知る由もありませんでした...

朝食を終え、むかったのはパドストウという街にある、チャフズ・ベーカリーというお店でした。店に一歩足を踏み入れると、賞を受賞したこともあるというパスティを焼く香りが一杯に広がっていました。パスティというのは、半円形のパイで、コーンウォール地方の名物の一つです。朝ごはんを食べたばかりだというのに、思わずおいしそーう!と歓声を上げてしまいました。

なので、お店の女主人であるエレインが、パスティをくれると言ったときには、もちろん遠慮などするはずもなく、喜んでもらってしまったのでした。
そのあと、まだあつあつのパスティを、車の中でほおばりました。パスティは皮が厚めに出来ていて、焼いてしばらくしても、中がとっても温かいのです。そのおいしかったこと!
朝食後、1時間しか経ってなかったんですがね。

そのあと、ベーカリーのパン工場(というか、大きなパン用キッチン)で、サフラン・ブレッドを作る様子を見学させてもらい、チャフズ・ベーカリーのスコーンも試食しました。もちろん、たっぷりのクロテッド・クリームとジャム付きです。
9時半にして、「もう、お昼ごはんはこれでおしまいね」と言い合ったのは言うまでもありません。


次に向かったのは、ヘルセット・ファームという牧場でした。オーガニックのアイスクリームやヨーグルト、クロテッド・クリームを作っているところです。私は工場など、モノ作りの現場というのが大好き(それが食品ならなおのこと)なので、とっても興味深く見学させてもらいました。
最後には、作りたてのクロテッドクリームと、ドリンクヨーグルトをいただき、次なる取材先へと向かいました。


最後の目的地は、トゥルーロという街にある、シャーロッツ・ティールームでした。ヴィクトリア様式だという店内は、やや古めかしいながらも、優雅な雰囲気でした。ここでも、クロテッド・クリームたっぷりのスコーンをいただきました。2日間で3個目のスコーンです...。

最後の取材を終え、B&Bに到着してから、どこに夕飯を食べに行くかを相談しました。編集長は、パドストウに戻って、イギリスの有名シェフ、リック・スタインがやっているというフィッシュ・アンド・チップスの店に行きたい!と言うので、カメラマン嬢と私も賛同しました。
実は編集長、フィッシュ・アンド・チップス講習を最近受けてきたということで、リック・スタインのフィッシュ・アンド・チップスを食べてみたいのだそうでした。そこで、45分ほど車を走らせ、海辺の街、パドストウまで戻りました。

その有名なフィッシュ・アンド・チップスはこんな感じでした...


たしかに、おいしかった。
今まで、そんなに何度もフィッシュ・アンド・チップスを食べたことがあるわけではないのですが、一番おいしかった、と言っていいと思います。私はタラにしたのですが(ほかにもカレイとかエイなども頼めます)、魚の新鮮さが分かりました。編集長に言わせれば、「チップス(フライドポテト)は俺のほうがうまい」そうでしたが。

そんなわけで、この日は二食はお魚、一食はお肉、それにおやつ付きという食事内容でした。
バランスがよく、充実している...ように、見えなくもないというか、なんというか...。

No comments:

Post a Comment