Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday 22 April 2010

Lemon sablée/レモン・サブレ

I like having some kind of home made "treats" handy.  Something you can eat a tiny bit of, when you want to, with your tea or coffee.  I think this is why I often end up baking cookies and butter cakes: they simply last longer than cream cakes and tarts with fresh fruits.  This means you don't have to eat them all at once!


This time, I decided to bake some lemon sablée, before the end of the citrus season.  I normally try to use something seasonal, and aim to have some variety - so if I did something fruity, then I'll bake something nutty next, followed by maybe something creamy, and then something chocolatey...(and I had a trial of peanut cookies last week).

So, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

Unsalted butter (room temperature) 100g
Grated rind of one lemon
Sugar  65g
Lemon Juice  30g
Flour  150g
Salt  a pinch
  1. Whisk butter and lemon rind in a bowl until light and fluffy.  Add sugar in two batches, and mix well.
  2. Add the lemon juice bit by bit, and mix well at each inclusion.
  3. Sieve the flour with salt, and add it into the butter mixture, in three batches.  Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the flour gently without over-mixing.
  4. Now using your hand, bind the mixture in one, to form a smooth ball.  Wrap the dough in a cling film, flatten, and let it rest in the fridge for 30min.
  5. Take out the dough, lightly knead and make a cylinder - or a sausage, whichever you like to call it.  I like my sablée bite-size, so normally my cylinder's size is around 3.5cm in diameter.  Wrap the cylinder dough in a cling film, freeze it for at least 30min.  
  6. Pre-heat the oven to 170c, and either grease the baking tray or a line the with baking parchment.  Take out the dough and cut with a sharp knife into 5mm thickness.  Place the cookies on the tray, about 5mm apart from each other.  
  7. Bake the cookies for 12-14min, or until lightly golden-brown around the edge.  I normally take the tray out once, rotate and put it back in order to let the cookies colour evenly.
The beauty of this recipe is that you won't have any half eggs or egg white leftovers (unlike most other sablée recipes).  This sablée is quite lemony, and if you like it less acidic, you can also use 15g egg and 15g lemon juice.  The texture will be less short but more soft-crumbly.

I confess that I made a mistake while experimenting with this recipe.  What I did was  that I left the lemon a bit too long after purchasing.
I normally use non-waxed organic lemon, which is very safe to use.  However, this means it dries out quickly too- so when I grated the lemon rind, it was slightly dry, and the rind became rather coarse.  Coarsely grated lemon rind is not nice- believe me.  It gets rather bitter..


I personally prefer to have these sablees with tea, rather than coffee (I have a theory that "fruity" and "spicy" goes better with tea, while "creamy" and "chocolatey" goes better with coffee).
But I thought the sablée looked pretty with espresso in a photo...

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

我が家ではほとんどいつも、自家製のお菓子があります。食べたいときに少しだけ食べられる甘いもののあるのが、好きなもので...。私の作るものに焼き菓子が多いのは、たぶんこのためだと思います。
生クリームを使ったスポンジケーキや、果物のタルトなどだと、作ってすぐに食べないといけないけれど、焼き菓子ならば置いておけて、少しずつ食べられます。


今回は、レモンのサブレを焼きました。そろそろレモンのシーズンもおしまいですし(といっても、一年中手に入りますが...)、先週はピーナッツクッキーの試作を重ねていたので、フルーティなものを、ということで。

レシピです ↓

材料

無塩バター(室温に置いておく)
レモンの皮のすりおろし レモン一個分
グラニュー糖 65g
レモン汁 30g
薄力粉 150g
塩 ひとつまみ
  1. バターを泡だて器で軽くなるまでよく混ぜる。砂糖を2回に分けて加える。
  2. レモン汁を少しずつ加え、その都度よく混ぜる。
  3. 薄力粉と塩を混ぜてふるい、3回に分けて2.に加える。木ベラかゴムベラに持ち替え、練らないようにさっくりと混ぜる。
  4. 手を使い、なめらかになるように生地を一つにまとめる。ラップで包み、手で平たくのしたら、冷蔵庫で最低30分休ませる。
  5. 生地を取り出し、軽く折りたたむようにして全体の温度を均一にし、直径3.5センチくらいの円筒に形を整える。再びラップでくるみ、今度は冷凍庫で30分以上寝かせる。
  6. オーブンを170度に余熱し、オーブントレイにバターを塗るか、オーブンシートを敷く。サブレ生地を取り出し、よく切れるナイフで5ミリ厚さにスライスし、最低5ミリ間隔をあけて並べる。
  7. 12-14分間、縁がキツネ色に色づくまで焼く。(私は焼き色を均一にするため、途中で一度取り出し、オーブントレイを180度回転させています)

このレシピの良いところは、卵の使い残しが出来ないことです^^。
かなりレモンの味が強い(=酸っぱい)ので、もう少し柔らかい味が好きな人は、全卵15g、レモン15gにして作ってもいいでしょう。レモンだけだと「かりっ」と「さくっ」のあいだくらい、卵と半々にすると、もう少ししっとりとした食感になります。

今回、試作を重ねる途中で私は一つ失敗を犯しました...
レモンを買ってから、使わずに置いておきすぎてしまったのです。
通常、ワックスなしのレモンを買っていますが、やはり乾燥するのが早いんですね。乾きはじめたレモンの皮をおろすと、粗くなってしまい、サブレが少し苦くなってしまいます。
というわけで、ぜひ新鮮なレモンの皮をおろして使ってください。


デミタスカップのソーサーに置くと、ちょうどいい大きさ。
...ですが、このクッキーにはコーヒーよりも紅茶のほうが合うと思います。
個人的には、「フルーツ」「スパイス」系のお菓子には紅茶、「クリーム」「チョコレート」はコーヒーを合わせています。
ぜひ、紅茶と一緒にどうぞ!

2 comments: